Impacts of House Bill No. 2061 on Virginia Physicians
House Bill No. 2061 requires all health care providers that administer vaccines to participate in the Virginia Immunization Information System (VIIS). The bill has a delayed effective date of January 1, 2022. Read the full text of the bill here.
What is the Virginia Immunization Information System (VIIS)?
In August 2006, the Virginia Department of Health’s Division of Immunization (VDH/DOI) implemented a free web-based immunization registry for public and private sectors statewide. VIIS is a secure, confidential, computerized database which contains vaccine information from participating facilities for individuals of all ages, which makes it a valuable public health tool for managing immunization records and supporting healthier communities. The purpose of the VIIS is to create an accurate immunization record for all Virginia patients. It is only accessible to authorized users of the VIIS system. VIIS records are treated with the same confidentiality and privacy as any other patient medical record and is HIPPA compliant. Find out more about VIIS here.
If you want access to VIIS, there are a couple things to consider...
- Has your facility previously had access to VIIS? If yes, or if you are not sure, please call our VIIS Help Desk at 866-375-9795 for further assistance to avoid duplicating registrations and VIIS accounts.
- Is your facility affiliated with a health system? If yes, please call our VIIS Help Desk at 866-375-9795 for further assistance.
Get Access to the VIIS System
Getting Access! If your facility has NOT had access to VIIS previously, please refer to steps outlined below.
(System requirements include internet access and Adobe Reader.)
- Complete VIIS registration at https://apps.vdh.virginia.gov/verip/home.aspx Click “New to VERIP”.
A valid medical license is required for this process (MD, NP, RN, LPN, etc.)
- Registration is reviewed for approval to obtain access.
- Your regional VIIS Field Trainer will contact you to discuss registration and schedule training.