1. Check with your insurance plan to find out if you have to choose a physician from its list. To find out (and get a list), call:
- the insurance representative for your company; or
- the plan’s local office
2. Ask people you trust which pediatrician they recommend
3. Check each physician’s credentials. Go to the Virginia Board of Medicine
4. Set up a “get acquainted” appointment with the pediatricians you are considering. Take this opportunity to find out if the office staff is courteous, if appointments run on schedule, if the physician is caring and attentive, if you share the same values, and if this is someone you can comfortably talk to about your child’s health issues.
Questions to Think About
- What doctors are covered by your insurance?
- What are the doctor’s qualifications?
- Do you and the doctor communicate well?
- Can this doctor provide what you require from your pediatrician?